Monday, April 11, 2011

General Conference

We had such a nice General Conference weekend.  And when I say weekend, I really mean Sunday.  We kind of spaced it on Saturday.  There is actually a funny story that goes along with our forgetfulness.  Ready for it?  Here is goes:

It was concert week for me, so I was gone a lot during the week and weekend.  I didn't get anything done around the house, so when Saturday rolled around I went into catch-up mode.  Todd and I worked ALL day!  In the back of our minds we knew it was Conference weekend, but for some reason, the thought never came to the front of our minds.

Well, after I put the kids to bed, I had to make a trip to Walmart for milk, eggs, and bread since we were totally out.  Again, thanks to the busy week.  I had just parked my car and started walking in when I ran into someone from my Stake.  She is in the Stake Relief Society Presidency and her husband is in the Stake Presidency.

Now, let me just say that I hardly know this woman at all.  I know her enough to say hi to her in passing, but we have never actually spoken to each other.  I see her and say hi, and here is how our conversation went from there:

Me: "Hi!"

Lady: "Let me ask you something..."  (no smile, nothing)

Me: "Okay"

Lady: "Did your husband go to Priesthood session tonight?" (she doesn't even know Todd's name)

Me: (Oh no!  I totally forgot!)  "Actually, he didn't.  We forgot."

Lady: (not kindly at all) "Didn't he go to Priesthood with his dad while he was growing up?"

Me: "Yes, he did.  He is going to be so disappointed he missed it.  Priesthood is his favorite session.  I bet your husband is there ( I say with a smile).

Lady: NO RESPONSE...she just turned around and walked away.

She did leave me with some parting words however.  As she was walking away, she turned around, not enough to look at me, but enough so I could hear her, and she said "Well, make sure he reads it!!!"

I was completely dumbfounded!  I just stood there and thought that there was no way that really just happened.  I mean, seriously?!?!?  Wow!  I'm still kind of speechless about it all.

Conference doesn't start until 11am here in Kansas, so we spent the morning at the park with our binoculars and magnifying glasses watching for signs of Spring while walking the trails.  It was really nice.  It also helped our kids to be much more pleasant during our 4-hours of t.v. watching.








Anyway, we did watch both sessions of conference on Sunday and it was really nice.  For the first time in a long time, Todd and I got to hear at least 1/2-3/4 of the talks given.  It was truly a miracle.  Of course, our watching pleasure was interrupted by several brotherly arguments, a little 4-year old who pooped in his underwear, and this:  apparently Ava has a new trick.  :)


Welcome to my world of Bedlam with all my little Bedlamites.

4 comments:

The Whetstone Family said...

I can't believe she said/acted like that!!! What if your children were home horribly sick and you were there getting medicine?! Or your husband was sick? Sheesh! Love that last pic, we have one just like it of Cailin around that age :)

Susanna said...

I'm am often shocked at the people who apparently don't really listen to what is actually being said in church meetings....brotherly kindsness, not judging, etc. There is nothing wrong with reading the conference talks or watching them on the computer!!!

Steph said...

I love Ava's new trick!

Emily Osborne said...

That lady needs to chill out!