Sunday, October 07, 2007

What a week

All I can say is, I'm so glad this week is over! Here is how it went:

Tuesday night-dress rehearsal for the upcoming Kansas City Symphony/Chorus concert. It went well.

Wednesday night-dress rehearsal with the symphony. It went better than well.

Thursday night-dress rehearsal with the symphony. It went HORRIBLY!!!

Friday day-get an email from our conductor telling us how horribly we did and told us that the guest conductor just threw up his hands in an act of "giving up" on us.

Friday night-our first concert (we sang the absolutely gorgeous Durufle Requiem) We got a "pep talk" before the concert that was the biggest downer I have ever heard. We all went on stage feeling like we totally stunk.

Friday night-sing the concert and feel terrible about it.

Saturday morning-read the review in the Kansas City Star of our concert entitled "Durufle Requiem: Symphony Sails, Chorus Sinks".

Saturday all day-dreading going back to sing again that night and the "pep talk" that our conductor is going to give.

Saturday evening (an hour before I have to leave to go to curtain call)-Tanner and I are at WalMart and I lock my keys, purse, and groceries...music folder and concert attire in the Honda...and I know that Todd has already LOST his Honda key.

Saturday evening continued-I start to have a nervous breakdown. Call a lock smith, wait for him to come, pay him $60 for his 2-minute job of unlocking our car, leave the WalMart parking lot with 10-minutes to get to curtain call...it's a 25-minute drive.

Saturday evening continued some more-luckily the choir didn't go on until intermission and I made it just as the chorus was lining up to go on stage. I hear that our conductor really loved our performance from Friday night and that the newspaper review was written by someone who hates choral music and ALWAYS gives us a bad review.

Saturday evening concert-we sang beautifully, and I felt proud to be singing with this chorus. Both our conductor and the Maestro told us we did terrific. I left feeling elated.

No comments: