Thursday, February 09, 2012

About A Boy

Some interesting things have been happening with this boy here:


First of all, we have just found out that Riley has perfect pitch.  For a frame of reference, about 1 in 10000 Americans have perfect pitch.  I sat down at the piano yesterday, per my grandma's suggestion, and had Riley sit on the couch and close his eyes.  I played a note and asked him to tell me what it was, without looking.  I played 8 or so notes and he got every single one of them right!  I was blown away.  So, then I started playing broken chords in 3 note increments and asked him to tell me what they were, in order of how I played them.  And wouldn't you know it, he got those correct too.  Crazy!

On another note...no pun intended...today was Riley's parent teacher conference.  Riley is in the top 98-100% for the first graders in his school.  We have been getting Riley tested for everything under the sun over the last 6-months due to his behavior issues (that he was born with!)  Everything from Aspergers to Epilepsy.  ALL testing has come back negative.  So, now we are going to have his IQ tested at his school.  Maybe this will be our explanation.  We'll see.

Riley wrote us a note that his teacher gave me at our conference.  Here is what it said:

Dear Mom and Dad, 

    Thank you for coming for conferences.  The 2 things I am doing well at is reading and math.  The 2 things I need to work on is ______________ and _________________.  Thank you for helping me with work.  

                          Love, Riley

His teacher and I laughed and laughed.  She had no idea that he didn't put anything in the "needs work" category.  Apparently Todd and I have helped Riley so much with his "work" that he has nothing else to work on.  Man, we are GREAT parents! I had no idea...(are you hearing my sarcasm as it screams from this post?) 

I predict great things in this boy's future....

1 comment:

Susanna said...

You are truly fabulous parents! Of course, it is all due to your fabulous parents...right Charlene? Riley is a wonderful kid!