Happy Birthday To Me
Well, I am officially 33-years young...(and I don't look a day over 32!) I had such an absolutely wonderful, fantastic, couldn't be better birthday, and I have to blog about it.
A few weeks ago, I received an email from the director of the Kansas City Symphony Chorus, Charles Bruffy, telling all of the chorus about an opportunity to sing in a choral festival event featuring Craig Jessop as conductor. The deadline to apply already had passed, but Charles said there were still openings. Well, singing with Craig Jessop was something I really, REALLY, wanted to do, so I called the number immediately. And wouldn't you know it, I got in. All I had to do was say that I sang with Charles and I was in...no audition necessary. It turns out that several of my chorus friends wanted to participate as well but didn't get in because the women's section was full. It is truly a miracle that I was able to do this, and I am so thankful!
We were a chorus that was only together for a day and a half before our concert...needless to say, it was a little stressful...or at least, it should have been stressful, but Mr. Jessop is such a wonderful conductor, that even though the music was difficult, even though we struggled, even though our time together was short, he made it so enjoyable. It is the mark of a great conductor to be professional, to expect great things, and yet not take the joy out of singing. Craig did just that. It was wonderful!
Though I had never met Mr. Jessop before Friday, he has a history with my family. When he joined the Tabernacle Choir years and years ago, the secretary of the choir sat him right next to my dad. There they sat, together in the Mormon Tabernacle, singing together and becoming good friends. When I introduced myself to him as Sara, Tom's daughter, he just took my hand and said, "Your father is a dear, dear friend."
We sang amazing songs: Gustav Holst's "Psalm 148" (one of my grandpa Ken's favorites and oh so beautiful); Benjamin Britten's "Festival Te Deum" (very difficult, but also the most rewarding to sing); a jazzy spiritual "Let Me Fly" (so fun, but let's face it folks...I sound like Minnie Mouse, not a black slave workin' in the fiel'); several Mack Wilberg arrangements (or as one lady in the choir knowingly called him, 'Mick Wahlberg'...I didn't correct her because it was too funny!) "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need", "Redeemer of Israel" and, of course, our big finale, "Come Thou Fount".
Such a great weekend. Thanks to Todd for taking care of things here at home while I sang my guts out. It was a fantastic way to celebrate turning 33! (and might I add that I came home to a clean house, my broken Nook exchanged for a new one, and a gift card to Barnes and Noble to fill my Nook shelves with books!...Really, could it have been any better?)




3 comments:
Happy Birthday! I am really inspired by how you put yourself out there to sing and join choirs.
You deserve all of that happiness and more. Much love and I am so thankful you have such a supportive husband....Charlene
What a fabulous birthday! I wouldn't be able to pick a better time for my own birthday! Aren't you glad we have singing in our lives!!!
Post a Comment