Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sweet Riley

Riley has been going to soccer camp every morning this week (It's Spring Break).  This morning just as we were out the door, he found his Book of Mormon that his Sunbeam teacher gave him.  He loves his Book of Mormon!  He brought it into the car and was reading about Abinadi.  Riley is very spiritually attune.  Even though I know this about him, it still surprises me.  His baby blessing was ALL about missionary work and how Riley would be a great light to the people he served.  The older he gets, the more I see this as a possibility.  Here is a conversation that happened in the car ride to soccer camp this morning:

Tanner: Mom, are we about to turn right?
Me: No, we're going to turn left
Riley: (looks up from reading his scriptures) Do you want to know how I know which way is which?
Me: How?
Riley: Because I remember which side I broke my collar bone.  Even though that was a bad thing, I still learned something good from it.
Me: Great!  You know, that is what Heavenly Father wants us to do.  He wants us to learn good things from the bad things that happen.
Riley: Yeah.  Sometimes Heavenly Father lets bad things happen so we can learn.  Kind of like Job.
Me: (what the?!?!)  You are right!  That's the whole point of coming to earth, so we can be tested, just like Job.  Heavenly Father wants to make sure that we learn to stay close to Him even though bad things can happen.
Riley: Yep. (then he started reading his scriptures again)

I think I need to start really studying the scriptures so I can be ready to have conversations with this child.  We have conversations like this quite often.  I need to remember to write them down.  Riley may have his issues, but he is a sweet, intelligent child right down to the marrow of his bones.  I sure love that kid!

1 comment:

Susanna said...

That is so sweet!!! Many of the "noble and great ones" have surely been saved to come to earth in the last days. The earth needs them!