Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Little Inaugural Relflection

In the spirit of the Inauguration, I'd like to point out a few thoughts I have had.

First of all, I really feel like our country is not nearly as respectful as it should be. I mean come on, heckling and booing President Bush during the inauguration is just really wrong. He may not have been your favorite President, but he still was your President...have some respect. Also, I had a friend tell me that when Pres. Bush had his inauguration the press lambasted him for spending 40 million dollars on it. They were saying things like, think of all the starving people who could have had food, all the people who could have had healthcare etc... Well, in these times of economic hardships, Pres. Obama's inauguration cost somewhere in the ballpark of 140 million and what did the press say about that (can you see where I'm going with this?), they said, congratulations! Good for you! Now is a time to celebrate! Do you sense a double standard here folks? It must be nice to have the press backing up your every move...I wonder how long that will last?

Second of all, I just about died when I heard the bennediction! Speaking of respect, hardly anybody closed their eyes! I laughed out loud when the only person closing their eyes during this prayer was President Clinton...possibly the most immoral man in the country. What is up with that?!?! The prayer itself was quite nice I thought until the end...then it was like Dr. Seuss reincarnate. People even started laughing...during the prayer! Watch the you tube video starting from 4:50 to see what I mean.



So, I can totally see this scenario as the next SNL comedy sketch:

It's the inauguration and the little old black preacher gets up to say the benediction. He starts out by quoting Dr. Seuss, saying all sorts of nonsensical rhymes. You have Obama standing beside him looking sober and bobbing his head up and down in agreement. You have Michelle standing behind trying to "look pretty". You have President Clinton in the audience with his eyes tightly shut and his arms tightly folded with a halo over his head and wings on his back. Then all of a sudden the preacher says in all his preacher glory, "If it's mellow (dramatic pause)...let it mellow...If it's brown (dramatic pause)...flush it down" with all the people in the audience saying "Amens" when ever their sould feels the need. Can you picture it? :)

5 comments:

Emily Osborne said...

I love this post! I can't let myself think about American politics because it INFURIATES me! I am appaled at how Obama is being hailed at a celebrity status! What has he done to deserve this adoration? Served a partial term as a junior senator!! Wow!!
Lauren comes up to me yesterday, completely out of the blue, and says, "I know Obama is the new president. I voted for McCain. I would've voted for Obama, except I couldn't remember his name."

The Whetstone Family said...

I know!!! I am also sick of how every little thing he does or says is the greatest thing on earth, he can do no wrong. It is such a popularity contest. Reminded me of our elementary school elections, where the cool kids got the votes saying they were going to put a soda machine in the cafeteria (even though they had no such power)! Can't wait to see your SNL sketch! Hopefully they do one.

Steph said...

Well I have to say that I LOVED the inauguration. I thought Obama's speech was awesome and humbling and instilled hope. We all know that I am an Obama fan, I have followed him for years now and I have a lot of respect for him, his views and his decisions. I think that he's surrounded himself with many intelligent and educated people which include Michelle. I agree that people shouldn't have "booed" at Bush as he was leaving. I have respect for Bush as he held a very demanding position for our country. I don't agree with all of the decisions he made, as I'm sure I won't agree with all of Obama's. However, I do feel like its refreshing to have this man who has delivered a message of hope and unity as our president. Its nice to have someone with such a respect for humanity and the betterment of our country and this world as the head our our country.

Heidi said...

I am hopeful for Obama. I kind of think he might surprise everyone and be the first fiscal conservative president in decades. His plans for the country have been very encouraging. Or he's been lying and he'll be no good at all. We'll see. I guess I'm a little cynical as well!

Anonymous said...

I agree about this country's lack of respect for the office... :(

and riley is so funny