The Truman Library
Well, here we are in Independence, MO, home of Harry S. Truman. We went on a little historical romp while my family visited; it was pretty fun. The Truman museum was one of the neatest museums I have been to...I just wish that Em and I could have gotten into it a little more instead of traipsing after the 3 kids. :) The kids actually were pretty good. Riley absolutely loved the phones that you could pick up to hear bits of Truman's life. He of course picked up the phones to talk to Sir Topham Hat...it was pretty darn cute.
We started out watching a short 15-minute video of President Truman in this auditorium that was pretty full of people. The video started out with some old video footage of a train coming into a station. Well, you can imagine that Riley thought it was the coolest thing ever. He immediately says, "Oh, train! Choo Choo! Look-a train!" Then the train blew its whistle to which Riley emphatically replied "All aboard!!!" I was dying. And just TRY to keep our little conductor quiet while a train is on the screen...near impossible! :)
The museum also had a replica of the Oval Office as it looked in Truman's years. Riley kept wanting to go outside, so I told him that we were going to go and see the Oval Office. Immediately he started saying, "Oval Office please!" Who knows, maybe this means that our little guy will one day be...President of the United States. I think his first order of business would be to have everyone in the White House wear train conductor outfits and have name tags that said "Thomas", "Percy", "Cranky the Crane", "Gordon"...and of course his would say "Sir Topham Hatt, the fat controller."

1 comment:
It really freaks me out to see the picture of us in the Oval Office. Am I really THAT much bigger than you?
Hearing Riley's commentary when he saw the train on the video, was sooo dang cute. All Aboard!
Post a Comment