Monday, May 10, 2010

Booster Shots

Today was booster shot day. I remember every, teeny-tiny detail about getting my booster shots. I remember walking down the long, dark hallway with the wall of windows showing the cloudy sky outside. I remember sitting in the waiting room and staring at the door with the screaming child behind it, knowing that it would eventually be ME behind the closed door. First they gave me the little purple polio vial of medicine to drink. No problem. Then the needles came out. I remember two nurses holding my thrashing body down so that another nurse could inject my leg. I remember my mom telling me she would buy me a toy afterward...which she did. I picked out a white umbrella with little multi-colored dots all over it. I used it as a walking cane as I limped out of the store. Hey, I'm a girl and that was traumatic. I had every right to be as dramatic as I wanted :)

So, knowing that Riley is infinitely braver than I was at 5-years old, I didn't think it would be too much of a problem. He knows that shots sting for just a second and then it doesn't hurt. I explained to him why he has to get booster shots and he told me that the little pinch was worth it so he didn't get the mumps. He had four shots given to him and he didn't even flinch. He was showing Ava, who also had to get shots today, how brave he was and that shots weren't scary. The doctor was so impressed with Riley, that he gave Riley FIVE stickers instead of just one.

Here is Riley proudly donning his many stickers given to him for his sheer bravery.



As for stats, here they are:

Riley

46 1/4 inches tall...95th percentile
51.3 pounds...90th percentile

Ava

28 inches long...95th percentile
20lbs 1 oz...95th percentile
Head...can't remember exactly, but it was a whopping 98th percentile.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Nanette said...

Oh I remember getting my booster shots too-it was scary but I was under the impression that if I cried, the nurse would hit me (honestly, I don't know where I got that)so I didn't flinch. I remember my mom being VERY shocked.
Your little boy is so stinking cute, especially because he was being brave to show his sister that getting shots isn't that bad! So sweet!

Susanna said...

The only person who had a harder time with shots than you was Jenny! When she was in her TEENS, it took 3-4 staff people to hold her down for a shot! Riley is so brave!

Emily Osborne said...

Way to go Riley!! Ellie and Nathan aren't afraid of shots either....but Lauren is! Sar, you've got some big kids, girl!

Annastacia said...

I neglected to add Audrey's actual measurements on the blog(things have been a little crazy!), I am laughing because Ava and Audrey are practically the same!! Audrey is 29 1/2 inches tall and weighs 20 lbs exactly!