Saturday, January 02, 2010

Taiwan Trip

I've been back for a few weeks now but I thought I'd post some pictures of my recent trip to Taiwan. It was great to finally get to meet so many of the Taiwanese engineers that I email every day. I enjoy seeing new places so I was excited to see the country also. I stayed over the weekend so a lot of these pictures were taken on my outings on Saturday and Sunday.

The food was incredible. This was a Japanese style barbeque where they bring you all the food raw and you cook it yourself. We had chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, squid and octopus (cow's tongue was a different night). It was a lot of fun even though the table was a little hot. Everyone was such a great host.



On Saturday we went to the National Palace Museum. They had a ton of stuff to see. A lot of it was from the mainland of China. The craftsmanship and precious materials were amazing.



This was the National Theater behind me. It's located on a huge square that's dominated by the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial. He was like the George Washington of Taiwan. It was a beautiful day and we just enjoyed the fresh air and great architeture.


This was at the other end of the square.


I had a great time and saw a lot of really cool stuff. The plane ride was brutal though. 14 hrs (not to mention connecting flights) is a long time to sit in one chair. Luckily Garmin sprung for business class so I can't complain. It took me a while to readjust to Kansas time but I'd do it again if I had to. Sara might disagree :)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Emily Osborne said...

Great new posts! I didn't know Ryan came to your house for Christmas. How fun! Everything looks so fun and festive. Todd, I'm so happy you got to go to Taiwan. What a cool place that not many people get to experience! I don't know if I agree with the "Chiang Kai Shek" and "George Washington" parallel, though!

Susanna said...

Amazing pictures! It looks like you had quite an adventure.

Robyn said...

Peter was in Hong Kong in Dec and he really liked it too! The plane was brutal and he only conned his way into economy plus, but it makes for some great air miles! Cool pics!

Heidi said...

That's so cool that you got to go to Taiwan. The food is weird (and sometimes nasty!) but the people are so nice. I miss it.